Whether you prepare your tax-return online yourself, or use the services of a qualified tax-agent, you can make the process of lodging your tax return a lot quicker and easier if you have all the receipts, tax invoices and documents organised.
Here is a handy list to help you be more organised!
- Previous Year’s Tax Return / Notice of Assessment
- Previous Year’s Accountant’s Fees
- Spouse + Children Details including DOB
- Private Health Insurance
- Medical receipts
- Details of purchase or sale of property, shares, business or other investments (Capital Gains Tax Statements)
- Receipts for donations made to DGR listed charities
- Income Protection premiums
- Personal pre-tax and post-tax contributions to superannuation
- Self-employed superannuation contribution details.
- Group Certificate from Employment / PAYG summaries
- Interest earned on bank, savings and term deposit accounts
- Rental Income received
- Superannuation income stream / pension statements
- Social security / Centrelink pension or allowance, family tax benefit payment summaries
- Trust / Partnership distribution statements
- Tax statements from share and managed fund investments
- Lump sum payment summaries (i.e. Eligible Termination Payment statements)
- Business or other income earned.
- Work related expenses (i.e. uniform, tools, travel, meals, self-education costs, union + professional membership)
- Motor vehicle expenses (i.e. petrol and maintenance costs, log book or estimation of kilometres)
- Rental property expenses (i.e. interest expense, property agent fees, body corporate, rates, insurance, cleaning, maintenance + repairs)
- Investment expenses (i.e. financial advice fees, investment borrowing fees, bank fees).
There may be other items as well depending on your circumstances.